Monday, May 12, 2014

Bourgeois and the Gluttonous Day(s)

Wow!  Could I be any more terrible about keeping my blog updated?  Don't answer that!!!

Anyways, I have survived my first full winter here on the East Coast.  Man, it was a rough one.  I thought it was bad and then I kept hearing native New Yorker say that it's the worst winter they've ever experienced and I KNEW it was bad.

Now, we are in this weird "not quite anything" season.  Some days it's spring.  Other days it's summer.  Some days feel like winter is trying to creep back in.  In summary, winter is brutal, summer is smelly/sticky/hot and spring is schitzso.  The weather in New York is horrid.  Don't move here if you like consistency, sun and comfort.

A few weeks ago, a couple of friends (Jocelyne & Christian) came to NYC and spent the weekend w/ me.  God decided to grant us a gift and the weather was beautiful.  Sunny and in the 70s!  :-)  We spent all of Saturday walking thru Manhattan and eating everything that we could.  I swear, we ate at like 5 places in 3 hours. 

Among our stops were 2 of my favorite New York places:


  • Artichoke:  If you ever go, try the Artichoke Pizza.  It's like eating a Spinach and Artichoke dip pizza.  The slices are huge.  Plus, it's cheap (under $5).  Your life will never be the same.
  • Insomnia Cookies:  The cookies are served soft and warm.  Enough.  Said.  [They deliver.  But, unfortunately, not to Brooklyn.]

On Sunday, Jocelyne and I went to Smorgasburg.  It's basically a bunch of food vendors who set up in 1 location for your gluttonous pleasure.  It's like what I imagine heaven to be.



What I learned that weekend is that I don't hate New York at all.  I really do enjoy exploring and eating and seeing new things.  But, I'd like to do those things in community, with people I enjoy spending time with.  Oh - and good weather never hurts.  

P.S.  To give you a sense for all that I ate that weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment