Sunday, August 18, 2013

Approaching a Bourgeois





Allow me to set the scene:


I’m walking down this street after getting off the train.  I’m headed home after a day at work or after going to church or spending time exploring some part of New York.  Where I’m coming from doesn’t matter.  What matters is that my goal is to get home.



About 15 feet away, walking toward me is a man.  He’s:


A.      20-25. Wearing a doo rag, a wifebeater and some light wash jean shorts.  His arms are covered w/ tattoos and there’s a cigarette in his hand.

B.      40-50.  Wearing a polo shirt and plaid shorts.  He’s missing a few teeth in the front and he has a pot belly.

C.      50-60.  Wearing no shirt, blue jeans and he doesn’t speak English.


His race doesn’t matter.  What matters is that, despite my efforts to fade into my surroundings, he’s seen me.  And he has that look in his eyes.


[INSERT APPROPRIATE EXPLETIVE HERE]


Him:  (slowing down) Hey, Sexy. Do you know how beautiful you are?

Me:  (walking faster, polite smile)  Thank you.

Him: (stops walking)  Are you married?

Me:  (speeding up, pretending like I’m too far to hear him)...

Him:  Are you?

Me: (rounding the corner)…

Him: Is that a yes?

This (or some variation of this story) happens to me ALL. THE. TIME.  Before I moved here, I knew I was a magnet for old men (maybe I give off the scent of fresh baked cookies, extra flowerly perfume, wigs, peppermint candy, etc.).  But, apparently, I'm kryptonite for thugs too.  I've even gone outside wearing this (see below) and 2 guys tried to get my attention.



Don't worry - I'm always polite & avoid being rude.  People are crazy and I'm not trying to be anyone's victim.  But, what I really wanna ask these guys is:

"What is it about me that makes you think I'd be interested in you?  Please tell me!"

I mean, the clean cut, polite guys, who have jobs are not checking for me.  I can't get anyone to approach me saying, "Hey, I'm sorry to bother you.  But can I talk to you for a minute?" to save my life.  Where are those guys at? 

Before I moved here about 100 people said, "The guys on the East Coast are so different from the ones on the West Coast.  They'll approach you and won't wait for you to come to them."  Yes, these men here in the hood definitely have some confidence.  But, um...  I should have known those women didn't know what they were talking about.  None of them are married to any of these "confident" East Coast men.  What do they know?  :-)

Anyways, I try my hardest to be grateful and take these encounters as reminders from God that I am presenting myself well and that He thinks I'm beautiful.  But, sometimes I wonder: "Is this the best I can hope for?"

Please, God, let the answer be a big fat NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment