Sunday, August 11, 2013

Bourgeois Grocery Shopping

I refuse to get groceries from the stores in my immediate vicinity.  If there are flies all around...uh uh....If I can walk into the store and smell the meat or fish...NOPE.  If the store is dirty or shelves unstocked,  I just can't...SMH.  Shoot, if the employees don't look clean and friendly in a store, I'm turned off.  Unfortunately, that's what the stores are like in my neighborhood.




The creates a bit of a challenge for me.  There isn't a Trader Joe's within walking distance.  I could rent a ZipCar.  But that's not the most economical option.  It's possible that I could take the train.  But, do you know how much energy (not to mention time) that requires?  

Then, I discovered online grocery shopping.  It's extremely convenient.  They deliver my groceries on the day and during the window of time that I choose.  My selected items are cold or frozen if they need to be.  It's great!  The drawback?  The cost of convenience.  It is not cheap.  You don't get Trader Joe's or Vons Club prices online.  The other problem is that the online stores don't always have the brands I like.

And so, the search continues for an acceptable grocery store within walking distance of my house.  Recently, I found one that didn't send me running in the other direction.  It's a little far (in nearby Williamsburg), so I can't go on my way home from work.  But the distance provides a nice walk (past a few projects, lots of delis, etc.).  So we'll see....

Anyways, since I don't have a car anymore, I have to have a plan about how I'm going to get all of my groceries home if I don't order online.  It's a common challenge.  So everyone here figures out what's best for them.




Watch the video to learn about my options.  :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment